Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Tablet FTW

Recently I purchased a new tablet because I heard about a nice little app called Procreate.

Unfortunately I had to purchase an iPad 4 because it was only available in iOS.

You see, I would have much rather gotten an android tablet, such as the Nexus 10, if only because I've already invested in quite a few Android apps.  I also like that there is quite a bit more freedom in Android.

The iPad does have a really good contrast ratio though and that makes it good for this sort of thing. Though not nearly as good as a decently calibrated monitor.

At first I was worried that I wouldn't make much use of it, but fortunately, I now think it was one of the best purchases I've made in a long time.


Because now I can draw anywhere, and draw the way I want to!

Here are some quick sketches done to get a sense of the whole thing.


I did use some other apps as well.  I find that I prefer roughing things out in Brushes or Sketchbook Mobile. So I have been using those apps a lot too.










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I know this is about a different tablet, but it looks like you posted at frenden.com/the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could/ that the monoprice tablet worked for you on a fresh install linux out of the box, but what distro/version of linux was that?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi,
Yeah, I guess thinking back on that post, it may have been a little erroneous of me to think that way. At the time I bought the monoprice tablet, I still had an old 4x5 wacom connected to my desktop. Everything at the time seemed to work great. Looking back now, I think the monoprice tablet may have been borrowing settings from the gnome wacom settings config. It was with Ubuntu 11.10.
Now I am running Ubuntu 12.04 for my work machine and the only app that recognizes the pressure of the monoprice tablet is MyPaint. The wacom drowned and was never used with the new version of the OS. The GIMP, Krita and Blender all ignore it.
The MyPaint devs have been very helpful getting it to work with their app. And if you notice that your particular tablet doesn't work, you can use a workaround.Just alter the settings in Help > Debug > GTK Input Device Dialogue at startup each time and it should work. Then contact the MyPaint team through the forums.
GIMP, Krita and Blender may all be dependant on QT 5 being included in whatever version down the road Ubuntu includes it into their development schedule. I should hope it comes out with 13.04. It is annoying to not have pressure sensitivity in those 3 apps.
So it works in the current distributions of Ubuntu, and probably all variants. But it's a question as to whether pressure sensitivity is supported.