Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Drawn Icon is still WIP


I am obviously very new to making fonts. But like anything in art, I think that if I work at it, I can make something that I should be proud of.

Admittedly though, font creation is not something that is to be taken lightly. I can spot the work of pros from the work of amateurs. My hope is that the fonts I create aren't so easily distinguishable from the good stuff.

Fortunately, a comic font should look like it's written by hand somewhat, so I think I can be forgiven if it doesn't work well outside of speech bubbles in comics.

Currently the font I've been creating - Drawn Icon - and that I use in Who Needs the Moon is working out pretty well. Every once in a while a new character pops up that needs to be added, or I alter the kerning here and there, so its still a work in progress.

But eventually I'll put it out there for anyone to use if interested with a free open source license. Before then, I'll probably get a couple other comic fonts started.


Canine Scratch is another font I am working on. It is meant only to be used in graphics and titles and just with latin based letters. And for that it works fine. WIP too, but eventually I'll just throw it out there. Same licensing intentions for this font too.


No comments: